Welcome to the CBT family!
CBT is one of the most well-researched treatments for binge eating difficulties and its evidence base is continuously growing. Research tells us that early behavioural change and challenging unhelpful beliefs are important factors that contribute to good treatment outcomes in eating difficulties. CBT targets precisely these two factors. We have incorporated these aspects in our treatment program to maximize your chances of success.
Another factor that makes a big difference in therapy outcomes is motivation and engagement. In CBT, that means spending enough time on the exercises, re-visiting the materials in-between exercises, and practicing what you learn in the program in your daily life. Of course, your motivation and engagement will wax and wane over the course of any treatment program.
However, in the ‘low motivation’ times it is invariably helpful to remember the reasons why you started the program in the first place. In this program, we spend some time at the beginning exploring and strengthening your motivation to engage with the course. It’s also helpful to know what you can expect from the program. Some tips from people who have gone through similar programs are:
- Remember that some of the exercises will be difficult to follow through - the more difficult they are, the more important that you do them!
- Remember that you won’t have to do this program forever.
- Don’t expect overnight success. It takes time and commitment to work.
- Remember that the urges may remain for a while even after you stop the binges. In this program, we aim to help you learn how to manage them and reduce their strength each time they come.
- Consider asking someone you trust to support you through the program - a friend or a relative to encourage and support you. Remember: a problem shared is a problem halved!
Dr Iakovina Koutoufa